On 07/08/2014 10:14 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Steve Singer <st...@ssinger.info> writes:
I've encountered a corrupt pg_control  file on my 9.4 development
cluster.  I've mostly been using the cluster for changeset extraction /
slony testing.
This is a 9.4 (currently commit 6ad903d70a440e  + a walsender change
discussed in another thread) but would have had the initdb done with an
earlier 9.4 snapshot.
Somehow or other you missed the update to pg_control version number 942.
There's no obvious reason to think that this pg_control file is corrupt
on its own terms, but the pg_controldata version you're using expects
the 942 layout.  The fact that the server wasn't complaining about this
suggests that you've not recompiled the server, or at least not xlog.c.
Possibly the odd failure to restart indicates that you have a partially
updated server executable?

The server is complaining about that, it started to after the crash (which is why I ran pg_controldata)

ssinger@ssinger-laptop:/usr/local/pgsql94wal/bin$ ./postgres -D ../data
2014-07-08 22:28:57.796 EDTFATAL: database files are incompatible with server 2014-07-08 22:28:57.796 EDTDETAIL: The database cluster was initialized with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 937, but the server was compiled with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 942.
  2014-07-08 22:28:57.796 EDTHINT:  It looks like you need to initdb.
ssinger@ssinger-laptop:/usr/local/pgsql94wal/bin$

The server seemed fine (and it was 9.4 because I was using 9.4 features)
The server crashed
The server performed crash recovery
The server server wouldn't start and pg_controldata shows the attached output

I wasn't recompiling or reinstalling around this time either.