On 18/07/14 13:18, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2014-07-18 13:08:24 +0200, Petr Jelinek wrote:
On 18/07/14 00:41, Andres Freund wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to use sscanf()? That should work with large
inputs across platforms.

Well, sscanf does not do much validation and silently truncates too big
input (which is why I replaced it with strtoull, original patch did have
sscanf)

Well, the checks on length you've added should catch that when adapted
properly.

I don't see a portable way how to validate too big input values when using sscanf.

Maybe it's time to pursue
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20140603144654.GM24145%40awork2.anarazel.de
further :(

Yes, I've seen that patch and was quite sad that it didn't make it in core.