On 08/04/2014 01:31 PM, Seref Arikan wrote:
Thanks a lot Heikki and Albe. Exactly what I was asking for.
Heikki: the libraries are written in languages that have their own runtime
and their documentation insists that both init and dispose calls are
performed when used from C. PG_init() and proc_exit sounds spot on.

You might also consider creating your own PL handler for those languages. Or google around if one exists already.

Any ideas about keeping some data at session level between calls? Both
calls of the same function and different C functions. (though temp table is
always there as an option)

You can use a global variable in the C extension. If you need to allocate memory that survives across function calls, use "MemoryContextSwitchTo(TopMemoryContext); ... = palloc(...)". I'm sure you'll find examples of that in the existing extensions too.

- Heikki