On 07/12/2014 05:16 AM, Jeff Davis wrote:
I was able to see about a 2% increase in runtime when using the
similar_escape function directly. I made a 10M tuple table and did:

     explain analyze
       select
similar_escape('ΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣ','#')
 from t;

which was the worst reasonable case I could think of. (It appears that
selecting from a table is faster than from generate_series. I'm curious
what you use when testing the performance of an individual function at
the SQL level.)

A large table like that is what I usually do. A large generate_series() spends a lot of time building the tuplestore, especially if it doesn't fit in work_mem and spills to disk. Sometimes I use this to avoid it:

explain analyze
      select
similar_escape('ΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣΣ','#') from generate_series(1, 10000) a, generate_series(1,1000);

although in my experience it still has somewhat more overhead than a straight seqscan because.

- Heikki