Hello,

If all you want is to avoid the write storms when fsyncs start happening on
slow storage, can you not just adjust the kernel vm.dirty* tunables to
start making the kernel write out dirty buffers much sooner instead of
letting them accumulate until fsyncs force them out all at once?

I can try, when I have finished with the current round of testing.

Note that, as Andres put it, it currently "sucks". Having to tinker with linux kernel parameters just to handle a small load without being offline 10% of the time does not look very good, so even if it works, ISTM that a pg side solution is desirable.

--
Fabien.