05.09.2014 23:45, Marko Tiikkaja kirjoitti:
On 2014-09-05 22:38, Oskari Saarenmaa wrote:
I wrote the attached patch to optionally emit warnings when column or
table
aliases are used without the AS keyword after errors caused by typos in
statements turning unintended things into aliases came up twice this
week.
First in a discussion with a colleague who was surprised by a 1 row
result
for the query 'SELECT COUNT(*) files' and again in the "pl/pgsql 2"
thread
as plpgsql currently doesn't throw an error if there are more result
columns
than output columns (SELECT a b INTO f1, f2).

The patch is still missing documentation and it needs another patch to
modify all the statements in psql & co to use AS so you can use things
like
\d and tab-completion without triggering the warnings.  I can implement
those changes if others think this patch makes sense.

I think this is only problematic for column aliases.  I wouldn't want to
put these two to be put into the same category, as I always omit the AS
keyword for tables aliases (and will continue to do so), but never omit
it for column aliases.

I prefer using AS for both, but I can see the case for requiring AS in table aliases being a lot weaker. Not emitting warnings for table aliases would also reduce the changes required in psql & co as they seem to be using aliases mostly (only?) for tables.

What'd be a good name for the GUC controlling this, missing_column_as_warning?

/ Oskari