On 09/29/2014 04:14 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
On 09/29/2014 03:23 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
It is better than nothing, but it is not nice for JSON due 2x parsing.
JSON parsing is actually pretty darn fast. Every json (as opposed to
jsonb) function reparses the json. It's true that this is not nearly as
fast as processing jsonb, but I think for this purpose it's probably not
too bad.
More to the point, the way to fix any concerns about double parsing is to
create row_to_jsonb(), not to plaster a bunch of options on row_to_json().

row_to_jsonb would be completely redundant with to_jsonb() in my recent patch.

And I don't want to add options like this there for the same reasons I didn't want them in row_to_json().

cheers

andrew