On 10/02/2014 09:30 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

Questions:

  1. Do you agree that a systematic way to report what a DDL command (or
     script, or transaction) is going to do on your production database
     is a feature we should provide to our growing user base?

I would say it is late to the game and a great feature.

  2. What do you think such a feature should look like?

I liked the other post that said: EXPLAIN <ALTER TABLE> or whatever. Heck it could even be useful to have EXPLAIN ANALZYE <ALTER TABLE> in case people want to run it on staging/test/dev environments to judge impact.

  3. Does it make sense to support the whole set of DDL commands from the
     get go (or ever) when most of them are only taking locks in their
     own pg_catalog entry anyway?

I would think that introducing this incrementally makes sense.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc
"If we send our children to Caesar for their education, we should
             not be surprised when they come back as Romans."