On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do think that the instrumentation data gathered by LWLOCK_STATS is
> useful - very useful.

Sure, quite useful.

But how about this comment:

    /*
     * The LWLock stats will be updated within a critical section, which
     * requires allocating new hash entries. Allocations within a critical
     * section are normally not allowed because running out of memory would
     * lead to a PANIC, but LWLOCK_STATS is debugging code that's not normally
     * turned on in production, so that's an acceptable risk. The hash entries
     * are small, so the risk of running out of memory is minimal in practice.
     */

> But it does have significant overhead.

I will say that it is a bit more than overhead for production use.

--
Ilya Kosmodemiansky,

PostgreSQL-Consulting.com
tel. +14084142500