On 10/08/2014 12:13 PM, Paweł Cesar Sanjuan Szklarz wrote:

    I don't think we need to import Mongo type notation here. But
    there is probably a good case for some functions like:

       json_table_agg(anyrecord) -> json

    which would work like json_agg() but would return an array of
    arrays instead of an array of objects. The caller would be assumed
    to know which field is which in the array. That should take care
    of both the table_to_json and query_to_json suggestions above.

    In the other direction, we could have something like:

        json_populate_recordset_from_table(base anyrecord, fields
    text[], jsontable json) -> setof record

    where jsontable is an array of arrays of values  and fields is a
    corresponding array of field names.

    I'm not sure how mainstream any of this is. Maybe an extension
    would be more appropriate?

Hello.

My personal interest is to send updates to a single json value in the server. Which is the best way to make a update to a json value in postgres without a full update of the already stored value?? the -> operator extract a internal value, but to update the value I don't see any operator.

I was not familiar with the extensions, but it looks like the best way to start is to create a extension with possible implementations of new functions. I will do so.

In my project I considered to use mongo, but in my case the core part of the model match perfectly a relational schema. I have some leaf concepts that will change frequently, and to avoid migrations I store that information in a json value. To make changes in such leaf values I would like to have a "context lenses like api" in the server. I will start with some toy extension and try to feel if this make sense.

There is work already being done on providing update operations.

cheers

andrew