On 10/22/2014 04:24 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakan...@vmware.com
wrote:

I think we should take a more wholesale approach to this. We should
enforce the rule that the server only ever archives WAL files belonging to
the same timeline that the server generates. IOW, the server only archives
the WAL that it has generated.

Hm?! Would that be really back-patchable? There may be in the wild tools or
users that rely on the fact a node archives segment files from all
timelines.

Hmm, so it would be a tool or user that manually copies a file to the pg_xlog directory of a standby server, and expects the standby to archive the file after promotion. That seems a bit far-fetched, although I've seen people do strange things. I think it would be acceptable as long as we document the change in behavior in the release notes. I don't have much hope that we'll ever be able to nail down the correct behavior with the current approach.

- Heikki