On 2014-10-30 10:23:56 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> I have a feeling that this might also have some regression at higher
> loads (like scale_factor = 5000, shared_buffers = 8GB,
> client_count = 128, 256) for the similar reasons as bgreclaimer patch,
> means although both reduces contention around spin lock, however
> it moves contention somewhere else.  I have yet to take data before
> concluding anything (I am just waiting for your other patch (wait free
> LW_SHARED) to be committed).

I have a hard time to see how this could be. In the uncontended case the
number of cachelines touched and the number of atomic operations is
exactly the same. In the contended case the new implementation does far
fewer atomic ops - and doesn't do spinning.

What's your theory?

Greetings,

Andres Freund