On 11/13/2014 11:09 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
I often get annoyed because psql is a bit too aggressive when it decides
whether to put output through the pager, and the only way to avoid this
is to turn the pager off (in which case your next query might dump many
thousands of lines to the screen). I'd like a way to be able to specify
a minumum number of lines of output before psql would invoke the pager,
rather than just always using the terminal window size.
Are you saying you'd want to set the threshold to *more* than the window
height?  Why?

Because I might be quite happy with 100 or 200 lines I can just scroll in my terminal's scroll buffer, but want to use the pager for more than that. This is useful especially if I want to scroll back and see the results from a query or two ago.

cheers

andrew