On 12/9/14, 11:41 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
I'm going to see about it while I get feedback on the rest of this patch; in
particular, extra test cases that fail to work when columns have been
moved around are welcome, so that I can add them to the regress test.
What I have now is the basics I'm building as I go along.  The
regression tests show examples of some logical column renumbering (which
can be done after the table already contains some data) but none of
physical column renumbering (which can only be done when the table is
completely empty.)  My hunch is that the sample foo, bar, baz, quux
tables should present plenty of opportunities to display brokenness in
the planner and executor.

The ideal case would be to do something like randomizing logical and physical
ordering as tables are created throughout the entire test suite (presumably as
an option). That should work for physical ordering, but presumably it would
pointlessly blow up on logical ordering because the expected output is
hard-coded.

Perhaps instead of randomizing logical ordering we could force that to be the
same ordering in which fields were supplied and actually randomize attnum?

In particular, I'm thinking that in DefineRelation we can randomize
stmt->tableElts before merging in inheritance attributes.