On 12/17/14, 10:20 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

* Change the new bit in the errdetail. "could not acquire cleanup lock"
    sounds too much like an error to me. "skipped %u pinned pages" maybe?

Seems reasonable.

Well, that's not always true either; when freezing, it doesn't skip the pinned
pages, it waits for them.

Oops. :(

I.e. this just says how many pages were pinned, without saying what was done
about them. That's not very meaningful to an average DBA, but that's true for
many of the numbers printed in vacuum verbose.

In this case it'll mean people will be less likely to report that this is
happening, but maybe that's OK. At least if someone comes to us with a problem
we'll be able to get some info from them. I'll separately look into the vacuum
docs and see if we can do a better job explaining the verbose output.

BTW, what is it about a dynamic message that makes it untranslatable? Doesn't
the translation happen down-stream, so that at most we'd just need two
translation messages? Or worst case we could have two separate elog calls, if
we wanted to go that route.