On 12/18/14, 9:21 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
As it stands, no extension can use the numeric type in any non-trivial
>way without paying a large penalty for repeated pallocs and data copies.
>Given that the ability to write C extensions easily is one of pg's great
>strengths, this is a defect that should be corrected.

If copying data/palloc is the root of numeric's performance problems then we
need to address that, because it will provide benefit across the entire
database. The pattern of (palloc; copy) is repeated throughout a large part of
the codebase.