On 25 December 2014 at 04:47, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> David Rowley <dgrow...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On 25 December 2014 at 00:34, Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
> >> I really wonder if we can't make msvc reliably recognize this kind of
> >> scenario - especially this case is pretty trivial?
>
> > The attached patch removes the warning, but likely can't be used in case
> > someone somewhere is doing elog(var++, "my error");
>
> Yeah, we're *not* doing that.  There are definitely places where
> ereport/elog are used with nonconstant elevel.

Agreed. The patch was intended as a demo of where the problem is. Although
I don't see why non-const elevel matters. Non-stable expressions are what
actually matter.

> It's curious though that MSVC fails to notice that the variable never
> changes.  I wonder whether we could get away with changing the elog
> macro to do
>       const int elevel_ = (elevel);
> as ereport does, and whether it would help if so.

Unlikely, as the one that was just fixed above is an ereport.

I'll dig around a little more and see if there's some way to get MSVC to
optimise this somehow. The 1% reduction in the postgres.exe seems worth a
little bit of investigation time.

Regards

David Rowley