On 1/23/15 12:16 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
Just to clarify- this concept isn't actually mine but was suggested by a
pretty sizable PG user who has a great deal of familiarity with other
databases.  I don't mean to try and invoke the 'silent majority' but
rather to make sure folks don't think this is my idea alone or that it's
only me who thinks it makes sense.:)   Simon had weighed in earlier
with, iirc, a comment that he thought it was a good approach also,
though that was a while ago and things have changed.

I know there's definitely demand for auditing. I'd love to see us support it.

I happen to like the idea specifically because it would allow regular
roles to change the auditing settings (no need to be a superuser or to
be able to modify postgresql.conf/postgresql.auto.conf)

Is there really a use case for non-superusers to be able to change auditing
config? That seems like a bad idea.

Also, was there a solution to how to configure auditing on specific objects
with a role-based mechanism? I think we really do need something akin to
role:action:object tuples, and I don't see how to do that with roles alone.

BTW, I'm starting to feel like this needs a wiki page to get the design pulled
together.