On 1/27/15 9:29 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
My point is that Bruce's patch suggests looking for "remote_dir" in
>the rsync documentation, but no such term appears there.
Ah, well, perhaps we could simply add a bit of clarification to this:

for details on specifying <option>remote_dir</>

The whole remote_dir discussion made me think of something... would --link-dest
be any help here?

       --link-dest=DIR
              This option behaves like --copy-dest, but unchanged files are
hard linked from DIR to the des-
              tination  directory.   The  files  must be identical in all
preserved attributes (e.g. permis-
              sions, possibly ownership) in order for the files to be linked
together.  An example:

                rsync -av --link-dest=$PWD/prior_dir host:src_dir/ new_dir/