On 02/03/2015 08:55 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> writes:
I share the sentiment that the release notes *seem* too big, but the
subsequent discussion shows that it's not clear why that's really a
problem.  Exactly what problem are we trying to fix?
At a rough count of lines, the release notes for unsupported versions
are about 18% of documentation overall (47K out of 265K lines).  So
they're not insubstantial.  Compared to the total size of the tarball,
though ...
It would not make that much of a difference in tarball size, agreed.
It *would* make a difference in the build time and output size of the
SGML docs --- as I mentioned at the outset, the release notes currently
account for 25% of the SGML source linecount.
I run `make -s -j4 world` on my i7 fairly often, and it is often
the doc build that I wind up waiting for at the end.

I realize this is slightly OT, but I wonder if it might be worth having targets that build and install everything but the docs.

cheers

andrew