On 02/05/2015 04:47 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2015-02-05 09:42:37 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
I previously proposed 100 segments, or 1.6GB.  If that seems too
large, how about 64 segments, or 1.024GB?  I think there will be few
people who can't tolerate a gigabyte of xlog under peak load, and an
awful lot who will benefit from it.

It'd be quite easier to go there if we'd shrink back to the min_size
after a while, after having peaked above it. IIUC the patch doesn't do
that?

It doesn't actively go and remove files once they've already been recycled, but if the system stays relatively idle for several checkpoints, the WAL usage will shrink down again. That's the core idea of the patch.

If the system stays completely or almost completely idle, that won't happen though, because then it will never switch to a new segment so none of the segments become old so that they could be removed.

- Heikki