On 2/5/15 10:48 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Stephen Frost<sfr...@snowman.net>  writes:
>* Robert Haas (robertmh...@gmail.com) wrote:
>>On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Stephen Frost<sfr...@snowman.net>  wrote:
>>>And I thought this was about FDW options and not about dblink, really..
>>The OP is pretty clearly asking about dblink.
>I was just pointing out that it was an issue that all FDWs suffer from,
>since we don't have any way for an FDW to say "don't show this option",
>as discussed.
The dblink example is entirely uncompelling, given that as you said
somebody with access to a dblink connection could execute ALTER USER on
the far end.

Actually, you can eliminate that by not granting direct access to dblink functions. Instead you create a SECURITY DEFINER function that sanity checks the SQL you're trying to run and rejects things like ALTER USER. While you're doing that, you can also lock away the connection information. A former coworker actually built a system that does this, at least to a limited degree.