On 2/19/15 4:11 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
Thoughts? Can't say that I've given conflict resolution for
>multi-master systems a great deal of thought before now, so I might be
>quite off the mark here.
I don't think conflict resolution actually plays a role here. This is
about consistency inside a single system, not consistency across
systems.

Isn't it possible that a multi-master resolution algo would want to know that something was an UPSERT though? ISTM handling that differently than a plain INSERT/UPDATE is something you might well want to do.

For example, if you're using last-wins conflict resolution and UPSERTs on two nodes overlap, wouldn't you want to know that the second UPSERT was an UPSERT and not a plain INSERT?