On 3/3/15 11:15 AM, Jan de Visser wrote:
On March 3, 2015 11:09:29 AM Jim Nasby wrote:
On 3/3/15 9:26 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2015-03-03 15:21:24 +0000, Greg Stark wrote:
Fwiw this concerns me slightly. I'm sure a lot of people are doing
things like "kill -HUP `cat .../postmaster.pid`" or the equivalent.

postmaster.pid already contains considerably more than just the pid. e.g.
4071
/srv/dev/pgdev-master
1425396089
5440
/tmp
localhost

    5440001  82345992

If we already have all this extra stuff, why not include an actual error
message then, or at least the first line of an error (or maybe just swap
any newlines with spaces)?

Not impossible. I can play around with that and see if it's as straightforward
as I think it is.

I'm sure the code side of this is trivial; it's a question of why Tom was objecting. It would probably be better for us to come to a conclusion before working on this.

On a related note... something else we could do here would be to keep a last-known-good copy of the config files around. That way if you flubbed something at least the server would still start. I do think that any admin worth anything would notice an error from pg_ctl, but maybe others have a different opinion.