On Wednesday, November 27, 2002, at 04:34  PM, David Walker wrote:

Does this mean that in the future '342' may not be valid as an insert into a
numeric field and that we should be using 342 instead?
I didn't see an answer to this question, but I sincerely hope that the answer is
"no." Otherwise, dynamic interfaces are going to have a much harder time.

Take DBI (and DBD::Pg), for example. Most DBI users don't specify a data type when using placeholders. Therefore, DBD::Pg (and other DBDs, including DBD::Oracle) assume that the data types are strings. So it's not unusual for DBD::Pg to execute a query like this:

INSERT INTO foo (numtype, varchartype, datetime, inttype)
VALUES ('23.4', 'string', '2002-11-30 00:00:00', '12');

In order to allow the flexibility to remain, AFAICT PostgreSQL has to continue to allow strings to be converted to numbers on the back end.

Regards,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory