On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com>
wrote:

> * Should we prohibit DDL from within event triggers?

Please don't prohibit DDL unless there is a really, really good reason to
do so. I have several use cases in mind for event triggers, but they are
only useful if I can perform DDL.

For example, I want to create an Elasticsearch FDW and use that to index
and search Postgres tables. When a table is created, I am planning to use
an event trigger to capture the CREATE event and automatically create a
foreign table via the Elasticsearch FDW. In addition, I would add normal
triggers to the new table which capture DML and update the foreign table
accordingly. In other words, I want to use FDWs and event triggers to
automatically sync table DDL and DML to Elasticsearch.