Hello,

 I am new to PostgreSQLcommunity, but I would like to become a contributer
eventually. I have readthrough your "Submitting Patch" guide and decided to
follow "Start with submitting a patch that is small anduncontroversial to help
them understand you, and to get you familiar with theoverall process"
suggestion.

 I am interested inplatform-specific spinlock implementation, so I looked at
s_lock.h file for possibleimprovement. Since it took me some time to find
possible areas of improvement,I would like to submit a small patch that would
facilitate the process forfuture contributors (including myself). Since this is
my first e-mail, pleaselet me know if I should have done something differently
in order to submit apatch for the community.

  Project name:

                Spinlock Documentation

  Uniquely identifiable file name:

                s_lock.h

  What the patch does:

                The patch implements addition to documentation in thementioned
above file. This addition outlines the current platform-specificimplementations
for an easy road map to what else could be done.

  Whether the patch is for discussion or forapplication:

                This patch is for application.

  Which branch the patch is against:

                This patch is against master branch.

  Whether it compiles and tests successfully:

                The changes allow for successful compilation andtesting.

  Whether it contains any platform-specificitems and if so, has it been tested
on other platforms:

                This patch doesn’t have any platform-specific items.

  Confirm that the patch includes regression tests to check the newfeature
actually works as described.

                Since this is documentation improvement, regressiontests are
not needed.

  Include documentation on how to use the newfeature, including examples:

                Since it’s documentation improvement, nodocumentation is needed
for documentation.

  Describe the effect your patch has onperformance, if any:

                No effect on performance. Unless we are talking
aboutdeveloper’s performance.

  Try to include a few lines about why youchose to do things particular ways:

                I have decided to include the mentioned documentationto outline
the areas that need improvement. Any developer, looking forplatform-specific
code improvement implementation can now easily find theneeded area.

Thankyou for your time and help,

ArtemLuzyanin