On 04/14/2015 06:28 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
On 14 April 2015 at 10:09, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakan...@iki.fi> wrote:

Abhijit Menon-Sen, heavily modified by me, reviewed by Andres Freund.

Did the heavy modifications have any affect on the patch behaviour, or
was this just related to where you would like to put the code?

Didn't affect behaviour.

Hmm, the buildfarm animals using Intel C compiler didn't like this patch. The problem seems to be that unlike on gcc and clang, icc always has the SSE 4.2 intrinsics (_mm_crc32_u64, _mm_crc32_u8 etc.), even when the target CPU architecture is not SSE 4.2. On gcc/clang, those intrinsics are not defined unless you build with -msse4.2.

I'll try to find a fix. I think we could use the __SSE4_2__ define to check whether SSE4.2 is targeted. Or we can punt and always build the version with the runtime check, unless overridden manually at configure command line.

- Heikki