On 4/23/15 2:42 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On 04/22/2015 09:24 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
Yeah.  We have a serious need to reduce the size of our on-disk
format.  On a TPC-C-like workload Jan Wieck recently tested, our data
set was 34% larger than another database at the beginning of the test,
and 80% larger by the end of the test.  And we did twice the disk
writes.  See "The Elephants in the Room.pdf" at
https://sites.google.com/site/robertmhaas/presentations

Meh. Adding an 8-byte header to every 8k block would add 0.1% to the
disk size. No doubt it would be nice to reduce our disk footprint, but
the page header is not the elephant in the room.

I've often wondered if there was some way we could consolidate XMIN/XMAX from multiple tuples at the page level; that could be a big win for OLAP environments where most of your tuples belong to a pretty small range of XIDs. In many workloads you could have 80%+ of the tuples in a table having a single inserting XID.

Dunno how much it would help for OLTP though... :/