On 4/25/15 6:30 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
On 24 April 2015 at 22:36, Jim Nasby <jim.na...@bluetreble.com
<mailto:jim.na...@bluetreble.com>> wrote:

    Instead of adding forcefsm, I think it would be more useful to
    accept a target block number. That way we can actually control where
    the new tuple goes. For this particular case we'd presumably go with
    normal FSM page selection logic, but someone could chose to to do
    something more sophisticated if they wanted.

    [1] http://postgresql.org/message-id/3409.1253147...@sss.pgh.pa.us
    [2] http://postgresql.org/message-id/3631.1253149...@sss.pgh.pa.us

I don't think specifying exact blocks will help, it will get us in more
trouble in the long run.

I think we need to be able to specify these update placement strategies
and these new block selection strategies
We can also design a utility to actively use TARGBLOCK_NEW and
FSM_SHRINK to reduce table size without blocking writes.

I generally agree, but was trying to keep the scope on this more manageable. A first step in this direction is just providing a method to move a specific tuple to a specific page; if there's no room there throw an error. Having some kind of SQL level support for that will be a lot easier than adding those other modes to the FSM, and will at least allow users to deal with bloat themselves.

But this is all stuff for 9.6...

Definitely. :)