On 04/28/2015 03:50 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 12:46:22PM -0700, Tom Lane wrote:
Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> writes:
I know COPY doesn't support importing files with fixed column widths,
i.e. we can't say field1 is the first 30 characters, and field2 is the
rest of the line.  We need a unique delimiter at column 31.  (Commercial
Ingres does support this ability.)
I know we tell most people to use sed, Perl, or an ETL tool to convert
files into a format COPY understands, and I think that is a reasonable
answer.  However, the file_fdw also reads our COPY format, and in that
case, the data file might be updated regularly and running an ETL
process on it every time it is read is inconvenient.
COPY is, and has always been intended to be, as fast as possible; loading
format transformation abilities onto it seems like a fundamental mistake.
Therefore, if you wish file_fdw were more flexible, I think the answer is
to create a variant of file_fdw that doesn't use COPY but some other
mechanism.
Yes, I think this is a missing feature.  While we can tell people to do
ETL for loading, we are really not doing that for file_fdw.

This needs some love, but it's probably along the lines you need.

<https://github.com/adunstan/file_fixed_length_record_fdw>

cheers

andrew