Hello Tom,

I've got doubts about this too: it introduces fundamental inconsistency
in pgbench itself, which may come back to bite us later.  Who's to say
that '=' will never be a meaningful operator in pgbench expressions?

Hmmm... it would not be an issue as long as '=' is not a unary operator? If you add "expr '=' expr" in the syntax, there should be no conflict with the result target "'=' expr" anyway?

I've just tried that and there is no issue raised by bison.

So ISTM that it should not bite later on that ground.

--
Fabien.