On 8 May 2015 at 16:03, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:

> So I've committed the patch yesterday evening. I'm pretty sure there'll
> be some more minor things to change. But overall I feel good about the
> current state.
>
> It'd be quite helpful if others could read the docs, specifically for
> insert, and comment whether they're understandable. I've spent a fair
> amount of time trying to make them somewhat simpler, but I do think I
> only succeeded partially.  And there's also my own brand of english to
> consider ;)

​
Omitted only has one m.

There's an extra space in "error . (See".

Otherwise it reads fine to me, although I've only skimmed it.

I may have misunderstood: there is only one ON CONFLICT action allowed? I
thought the previous version suggested multiple possible targets and
actions, this suggests that while there can be multiple targets the action
is always the same.

So I thought I could have

INSERT INTO distributors (did, dname)
  ON CONFLICT (did) DO UPDATE dname=target.dname
  ON CONFLICT (dname) DO NOTHING;

Did I misunderstand?

Finally there's no

INSERT INTO distributors (did, dname)
  SELECT did, dname FROM otherdists
ON CONFLICT (did) DO NOTHING;

example (or similar); do we think people will be smart enough to realise
that's possible without one?​

​Geoff​