On 05/12/2015 12:00 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
Multi-xacts were made durable in Postgres 9.3 (released 2013-09-09) to
allow primary-key-column-only locks.  1.7 years later, we are still
dealing with bugs related to this feature.  Obviously, something is
wrong.

There were many 9.3 minor releases containing multi-xacts fixes, and
these fixes have extended into 9.4.  After the first few bug-fix
releases, I questioned whether we needed to revert or rework the
feature, but got no positive response.  Only in the past few weeks have
we got additional people involved.

The "revert or rework" ship had already sailed at that point. I don't think we had much choice than just soldier through the bugs after the release.

I think we now know that our inaction didn't serve us well.  The
question is how can we identify chronic problems and get resources
involved sooner.  I feel we have been "asleep at the wheel" to some
extent on this.

Yeah. I think the problem was that no-one realized that this was a significant change to the on-disk format. It was deceptively backwards-compatible. When it comes to permanent on-disk structures, we should all be more vigilant in the review.

- Heikki