On 05/12/2015 08:35 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

Yes, sorry, I had a moment of brain fade yesterday. However, I think we're a bit under-documented on the pg_basebackup page, regarding both tar mode and tablespace_map (which isn't even mentioned).

And there is this which I noticed this morning: the --tablespace-mapping feature of pg_basebackup seems to be quite broken in --format=tar mode - it simply has no effect AFAICT. I assume it was broken before, but we should either fix it (possibly hard) or disallow the combination (which would be a pity).

I'm going to go ahead and commit this in the state I have it now, because for the most part these are preexisting deficiencies.

One more thing: I think pg_basebackup will now not work in tar mode with pre-9.5 servers, since it will be using an unrecognized option of the BASE_BACKUP protocol command. If so that certainly needs to be documented and release noted.

cheers

andrew