The DDL deparse support that just landed looks impressive, but I’ve needed
query deparsing for some time now. Within pg_shard
<https://github.com/citusdata/pg_shard> we took the fast-and-dirty approach of
merging in a modified ruleutils.c, though I’d (obviously) like to get away from
that.

Many of ruleutils.c’s functions already have a public interface; would there be
any objection to exposing get_query_def to provide a way to turn a Query back
into an SQL string?

A more structured approach analogous to the new DDL stuff would make my life
easier, but simply having the Query-to-SQL function would be a huge improvement
for now.

I trawled through the archives but couldn’t find any discussion of why this
function was kept static.

--
Jason Petersen
Software Engineer | Citus Data