On 05/15/2015 09:06 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

2. I don't really understand why WALWriteLock is set up to prohibit
two backends from flushing WAL at the same time.  That seems
unnecessary.  Suppose we've got two backends that flush WAL one after
the other.  Assume (as is not unlikely) that the second one's flush
position is ahead of the first one's flush position.  So the first one
grabs WALWriteLock and does the flush, and then the second one grabs
WALWriteLock for its turn to flush and has to wait for an entire spin
of the platter to complete before its fsync() can be satisfied.  If
we'd just let the second guy issue his fsync() right away, odds are
good that the disk would have satisfied both in a single rotation.
Now it's possible that the second request would've arrived too late
for that to work out, but AFAICS in that case we're no worse off than
we are now.  And if it does work out we're better off.  The only

This is a bit out of my depth but it sounds similar to (from a user perspective) the difference between synchronous and asynchronous commit. If we are willing to trust that PostgreSQL/OS will do what it is supposed to do, then it seems logical that what you describe above would definitely be a net win.

JD