On 05/17/2015 05:46 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On May 17, 2015, at 8:38 PM, Peter Geoghegan <p...@heroku.com> wrote:
>> The current behavior does not seem acceptable for the concatenate
>> operator ("operator || jsonb").
>
> I don't agree.  It seems pretty clear to me after reading the new posts that
> the behavior is not an oversight, and that's enough for me to say that we
> should leave this alone.

Is there a particular reason why "+" makes more sense as "shallow
concatination" and "||" makes more sense as "deep concatination"?  Like,
something in JS or other client languages which would make that
preference make more sense to users?

While I hate last-minute changes in general, once we have this
functionality as || we won't be able to swap operators later if we
decide that deep concatination should have been ||.  So I want to be
clear on why users will prefer that to + .

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.