That might be the case in a database with a single small table; i.e. where all the writes go to a single file. But as soon as you have large tables (i.e. many segments) or multiple tables, a significant part of the writes issued independently from checkpointing will be outside the processing of the individual segment.

Statistically, I think that it would reduce the number of unrelated writes
taken in a fsync by about half: the last table to be written on a
tablespace, at the end of the checkpoint, will have accumulated
checkpoint-unrelated writes (bgwriter, whatever) from the whole checkpoint
time, while the first table will have avoided most of them.

That's disregarding that a buffer written out by a backend starts to get
written out by the kernel after ~5-30s, even without a fsync triggering
it.

I meant my argument with "continuous flushing" activated, so there is no up to 30 seconds delay induced my the memory manager. Hmmm, maybe I do not understood your argument.

--
Fabien.