On 06/05/2015 08:07 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

 From my side, it is only recently I got some clear answers to my questions
about how it worked. I think it is very important that major features have
extensive README type documentation with them so the underlying principles used
in the development are clear. I would define the measure of a good feature as
whether another committer can read the code comments and get a good feel. A bad
feature is one where committers walk away from it, saying I don't really get it
and I can't read an explanation of why it does that. Tom's most significant
contribution is his long descriptive comments on what the problem is that need
to be solved, the options and the method chosen. Clarity of thought is what
solves bugs.

Yes, I think we should have done that early-on for multi-xact, and I am
hopeful we will learn to do that more often when complex features are
implemented, or when we identify areas that are more complex than we
thought.

I see this idea of the README as very useful. There are far more people like me in this community than Simon or Alvaro. I can test, I can break things, I can script up a harness but I need to be understand HOW and the README would help allow for that.

People think I want to stop feature development to review.  What I am
saying is that we need to stop development so we can be honest about
whether we need review, and where.  It is hard to be honest when time
and feature pressure are on you.  It shouldn't take long to make that
decision as a group.

Right. This is all about taking a step back, a deep breath, an objective look and then digging in with a more productive and reliable manner.

Sincerely,

JD