Hi,

On 06/12/15 15:56, Merlin Moncure wrote:
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
We hope to have a chance to discuss this during the upcoming
developer unconference in Ottawa. Here are some preliminary ideas
to shed some light on what we're trying to do.

Quick thought. We already support out of line columnar storage in a
fashion with 'toast'. Obviously that's a long way from where you want
to go, but have you ruled out extending that system?

I doubt it would be a simple extension of TOAST, because it's a bit inverse to the columnar store. TOAST splits a single value into many pieces, but colstore needs to store values from multiple rows together. I wouldn't really call TOAST columnar storage.