On 06/22/2015 10:37 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

 I'm less sure about this next part, but I think we
might also want to report ourselves as waiting when we are doing an OS
read or an OS write, because it's pretty common for people to think
that a PostgreSQL bug is to blame when in fact it's the operating
system that isn't servicing our I/O requests very quickly.  We could
also invent codes for things like "I'm doing a pg_usleep because I've
exceeded max_spins_per_delay" and "I'm waiting for a cleanup lock on a
buffer" and maybe a few others.

This would be a great improvement. Many, many times the problem really has nothing to do with PostgreSQL. It is a relation falling out of cache, swapping, a process waiting on IO to be allocated to it. If it is possible to have a view within PostgreSQL that allows us to see that, it would be absolutely awesome.

It would be great if we could somehow monitor what the postgresql processes are doing within PostgreSQL. Imagine if we had pgsar ...

Sincerely,

jD