On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Uriy Zhuravlev <u.zhurav...@postgrespro.ru
> wrote:

> Hello hackers.
>
> I found a strange thing. I hope it's not on purpose.
>
> Example:
> git clone git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git
> cd postgresql
> git checkout -b remotes/origin/REL9_4_STABLE
> git merge master
> MANY CONFLICTS

​It is intentional: t
he release branches operate exclusively in parallel to master and each
other.​  While any two share a common ancestor they are never intended to
be joined again in the future.  cherry-picking w/ tweaks is used to apply
fixes made against master to the back-branches, if applicable.  Not being
an actual code -hacker on this project I am lacking on specifics and maybe
over-simplifying.

Think of this as a "multi-master" repository.

David J.