On 14 June 2015 at 23:51, Tomas Vondra <tomas.von...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> The current state, where HashAgg just blows up the memory, is just not
>>> reasonable, and we need to track the memory to fix that problem.
>>>

>> Meh. HashAgg could track its memory usage without loading the entire
>> system with a penalty.
>>

> +1 to a solution like that, although I don't think that's doable without
> digging the info from memory contexts somehow.

Jeff is right, we desperately need a solution and this is the place to
start.

Tom's concern remains valid: we must not load the entire system with a
penalty.

The only questions I have are:

* If the memory allocations adapt to the usage pattern, then we expect to
see few memory chunk allocations. Why are we expecting "the entire system"
to experience a penalty?

* If we do not manage our resources, how are we certain this does not
induce a penalty? Not tracking memory could be worse than tracking it.

<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>