On 06/25/2015 07:14 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
After looking at the issues with the TAP test suite that hamster faced
a couple of days ago, which is what has been discussed on this thread:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/13002.1434307...@sss.pgh.pa.us

I have developed a patch to improve log capture of the TAP tests by
being able to collect stderr and stdout output of each command run in
the tests by using more extensively IPC::Run::run (instead of system()
that is not able to help much) that has already been sent on the
thread above.

This is a massive improvement to the usability of TAP tests. They are practically impossible to debug currently. Thanks for working on this!

The patch redirects the output of all "system_or_bail" commands to a log file. That's a good start, but I wish we could get *everything* in the same log file. That includes also:

* stdout and stderr of *all* commands. Including all the commands run with command_ok/command_fails.

* the command line of commands being executed. It's difficult to follow the log when you don't know which output corresponds to which command.

* whenever a test case is reported as success/fail.

Looking at the manual page of Test::More, it looks like you could change where the perl script's STDOUT and STDERR point to, because Test::More takes a copy of them (when? at program startup I guess..). That would be much more convenient than decorating every run call with ">> logfile".

- Heikki