Hackers,

My co-workers tell me that pg_upgrade told them to drop the colnames and
hostname extensions before upgrading from 9.3 to 9.4. Fortunately, Postgres had
 not recorded any dependencies on functions from these extensions (not sure why
not, since we do user them, but for the moment grateful), so it wasn’t a big
deal to drop them and then add them back after finishing the upgrade. But
frankly I don’t understand why this was necessary. It’s true that they’re C
extensions with shared libraries, but there are separate .so files for the 9.3
and 9.4 installs.

Would there be a way to convince pg_upgrade that extensions don’t need to be
dropped before upgrading?

Thanks,

David