Hi

Forgive me if this is not the right place to discuss this. I am new to the
postgresql community.

I have a requirement for a project that I am working on and was hoping to gain
some discussion on the idea of implementing an index type for lquery fields
(see ltree’s http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/ltree.html
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/ltree.html>)

Currently ltree fields can have GIST/GIN indexes, but you cannot create a index
for lquery or ltxtquery. In my scope, an index for lquery would be enough,
although if it wasn’t too difficult it for to be expanded for ltxtquery fields,
then this could also be implemented.

I have not contributed to postgres yet so I’m not really sure how to get
started.

Thoughts?