On 07/28/2015 04:43 AM, Marc Mamin wrote:

>        On 07/27/2015 02:53 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>
>            I am trying to run parallel execution
>
> psql -At -c "select datname from pg_database" postgres | xargs -n 1 -P 3 psql -c "select current_database()"
>

> I don't think it's going to be a hugely important feature, but I don't see a problem with creating a new option (-C seems fine) which would have the same effect as if the arguments were contatenated into a file which is then used with -f. IIRC -c has some special characteristics which means it's probably best not to try to extend it for this feature.
>

>    ok, I'll try to write patch.
>

>I have a question. Can be -C option multiple?

hello,
Have you thought of how to support -1 along with -C ?

> handle the input as with -f
     that is, -1 -C would be equivalent to -c

and
psql -1 -C "sql_1; sql_2;" -C "sql_3; sql_4;"

=> ?

BEGIN;
sql_1;
sql_2;
END;

BEGIN;
sql_3;
sql_4;
END;

thoughts ?

The same logic could be added to -f
although I see less advantages as with adding -C

psql -1 -f "file1, file2" -f "file3, file4"

This is way too complex and baroque. -1 should be global. Multiple -C options should be concatenated. -f should not be touched.

cheers

andrew