On Tue, Jul  7, 2015 at 12:57:58PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> writes:
> > On 2015-07-07 12:03:36 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> I think the DN is analogous to the remote user name, which we don't
> >> expose for any of the other authentication methods.
>
> > Huh?
>
> Peter's exactly right: there is no other case where you can tell what
> some other connection's actual OS username is.  You might *guess* that
> it's the same as their database username, but you don't know that,
> assuming you don't know how they authenticated.
>
> I'm not sure how security-critical this info really is, though.

I know I am coming in late here, but I know Heroku uses random user
names to allow a cluster to have per-user databases without showing
external user name details:

        => \du
                                        List of roles
           Role name    |                   Attributes                   |
Member of

----------------+------------------------------------------------+-----------
         aafgrwewediiqz | 20 connections                                 | {}
         aaszwkfnholarh | 20 connections                                 | {}
         aatbelxbaeriwy | 20 connections                                 | {}
         aaxiwolkcxmbxo | 20 connections                                 | {}
         abbyljzgqaonjb | 20 connections                                 | {}

I can see them having problems with a user being able to see the SSL
remote user names of all connected users.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us

  + Everyone has their own god. +