On 08/31/2015 07:32 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 07:28:00PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

On 08/31/2015 07:21 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
On Aug 31, 2015, at 4:20 PM, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:

I think it would help if its noted somewhere in the document as it would have
helped us save some time understanding why it was failing and why it was
looking for json_build.
The problem is that this is a rare case where you had an extension that
was later included in Postgres.
Maybe not so rare. Thanks to Andrew, we’ve had to do this for both 9.2-9.3
(json_object) and 9.3-9.4 (json_build).

Yeah, a lot of people don't like to wait for new stuff. :-)
It might make the most sense to mention this method in the release notes
of the extension.  However, I assume they are not using the extension in
the new server so their is no release to look at.

Still, I don't know how many people are doing this, but the right fix is
to get the names of the modules that are superceeded and tell pg_upgrade
to skip them.

I don't think this knowledge should be hardcoded in pg_upgrade. I could see some point in a switch that would tell pg_upgrade a list of extensions to ignore.

cheers

andrew